[Clayart] Making big stuff

Deborah Thuman via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Oct 1 09:27:15 EDT 2015

Ron - those are some mighty huge planters.

For a while, I was hand building female figures to live in my yard. Jim built me a rolling box. I’d build as much of the figure as I could on the table, then I’d move my work to the rolling box. I could turn the box as I coil built. The smart part was the box was designed to be the same hight as the floor of the kiln. Roll, push, fire.

A short planter story. When the new Sheriff’s Office was built - post 9/11 - the outside was designed to be a fortress. Rather than ugly bollards in front of the building (so no one could drive a tank through the building), huge planters were placed where the bollards would be. Alas, the county ran out of money and so the planters were never filled with soil and are plant less.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at zianet.com

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
Twyla Tharp