[Clayart] Reinforced Sculpture

Taylor Hendrix via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Thu Oct 8 12:13:33 EDT 2015

I do not have experience with this technique, Paul, but I'm curious as to
why you are increasing the strength of your sculpture with low density
concrete. I would think the trade off between increased cost/time to added
strength wouldn't be worth it. What type of a sculpture is it and how much
increase in strength are you seeing? How much added weight does the
concrete impart and how much does it shrink as it matures? Why the rebar?

I have always wondered if concrete-filled ceramics would be stronger than
hollow formed ceramics. I am assuming these sculptures will be outside.
Have you had any sculptures outside for any length of time? Differences in
thermal expansion between the concrete and the clay might be an issue, and
depending on local weather, freeze thaw might as well.

This is interesting, Paul. Do you have any pictures?

Taylor, in Rock Rock

Taylor, in Rockport TX
wirerabbit1 on Skype (-0600 UTC)
http://wirerabbit.blogspot.com