[Clayart] Kilns and emotional art

Deborah Thuman via Clayart clayart at lists.clayartworld.com
Tue Oct 13 09:15:53 EDT 2015

When we bought a kiln, Jim built a kiln house. There’s a gap of about a 8” or so between the top of the wall and the roof. There’s a wind turbine in the roof. There are double doors and they are both open during firing. This opens up roughly 85% of the one wall of the kiln house. I hang around long enough to record the readings from the two pyrometer probes and take a peek at the cones. We live in a desert and get WIND on a regular basis. So far, the only headache caused by the kiln has been the little rats who decided making a next in my kiln was a great idea. Then the little darlings started to eat my ware that was being stored in the kiln until I had a full load for a bisque fire. Jim, handy guy that he is, cut circles of aluminum to fit over the holes where the gas flame comes through. He set a brick on each piece of aluminum. So far, the little rats haven’t gotten access to little barbells nor gotten their little rat muscles strong enough to move the bricks. Meanwhile, I have work to be bisque fired piled up all over the patio.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at zianet.com

 <https://www.facebook.com/LaviniaUrbanAuthor/photos/a.214914151979308.57029.155524154584975/641808745956511/?type=3>
 <https://www.facebook.com/LaviniaUrbanAuthor/photos/a.214914151979308.57029.155524154584975/641808745956511/?type=3>