[Clayart] can't help myself, stuff happens

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Fri Jan 15 18:32:01 EST 2016

Paul Gerhold wrote:
"What would be interesting is why he wants the piece reproduced in bronze.  Does he doubt the validity or the durability the clay medium?"

What Paul said.  Why cast it in bronze?  I always thought Pete Voulkos took a huge nose-dive in style and integrity in the latter part of his career when some of his huge platters and "stacks" were cast in bronze.  What an affront to those magnificent clay pieces.  Was it just because he knew that clay is fragile and bronze is not, and wanted his work to survive into eternity?  Don't worry Pete, your work will survive into eternity or at least until the next Big Bang.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University