[Clayart] High Magnesia glaze colorants?

Paul Herman potterpaul at frontiernet.net
Tue Jan 19 23:09:45 EST 2016

Owen,

Some high magnesia ^10 glazes respond to cobalt in a spectacular way. With a large percentage of cobalt, in the 3 to 5% range, they will make a remarkable pinkish purple. The pink/purple micro crystals float on top of the deep blue glass. I would try a line blend of cobalt, increasing from 2% to 6%. I think it might be pyroxine under the influence of cobalt.

Good luck,

Paul Herman

Great Basin Pottery
Doyle California