[Clayart] Cobalt carbonate toxicity

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:59:57 EST 2016

Hi John,
I knew it was an oldie glaze, but time and travel at times loses the original name.
Way back "then" the order of the day for a good black was to over load with metallic oxides and adjust for the consequent over fluxing.
I inherited a 5 gal. bucket of Glossy Black with the recipe written on the side.  It looked to be unstable for leaching but finding a suitable use for a free bucket of glaze is a thrifty pastime so I played with it to see what value I could find as a glaze for exteriors and non food and drink surfaces.  It is indeed "glossy" and as i said before, interesting in the chemistry, alchemy, of glaze layering effects and surprises.

Just leave it out of the mug, bowl, and pickle dish!!!
It would be interesting if you have time to locate the old leach test results.

Misneach,
David