[Clayart] Tanks, etc.

William Schran wschran at cox.net
Sat Jul 2 08:58:36 EDT 2016

Diana,

We were very lucky where I taught to have natural gas supply, but for our
raku kiln we used #30 propane tanks that I would place in a bath of water
so as to get every bit of gas. We had to have a locked cage for storage.
The reason for storing in cages and chaining up when in use is very much
the same as with welding shops storing tanks and chaining them when in use
so as not to be accidentally knocked over. This has been true even before
issues of terrorism.

The best way to go would be a #500 tank that could have a locked fence
around it with a sufficient sized main line buried until it came up near
the kilns. The tank remains the propane company property, so there is no
expense with that, and the U pays only for the gas. Having a larger tank
will allow for many more firings with constant needed pressure. Smaller
tanks loose pressure because they begin to freeze up as the amount of
liquid gas left in the tank is small and the change to gas causes a
refrigeration effect. Cold water from a hose pouring over the tank
actually warms the tank and allows for use of more of the gas. Having one
larger tank may well actually save money in the long run, as you will be
able to use more of the propane in the tank.

Bill

Bill Schran
www.creativecreekartisans.com
wschran at cox.net

On 7/1/16, 10:47 PM, "Clayart on behalf of dianamp--- via Clayart"
<clayart-bounces at lists.clayartworld.com on behalf of