[Clayart] wood firing/long story

Paul Herman potterpaul at frontiernet.net
Sat Jul 2 15:02:16 EDT 2016

Mel,

I am writing to offer a different perspective on wood firing than what you have expressed. Your email seems to be a very cynical take on the whole wood firing experience, and really uninformed about what is going on out here in the larger world.

I will address one paragraph at a time.

First, it is indeed hard work and dirty sometimes, but not always expensive if you are a good scrounger like me. Fighting and arguments? That doesn’t happen around our firings here, so that is not true about all wood firings. That statement makes me wonder about the character of your crews.

2nd paragraph: Definitely, if you want to fire from a lawn chair and chat, gas is the ticket for you. Wood firing includes plenty of hard work.

3rd p: If David Hendly is the only happy wood firer you know of, I’d say you need to meet some more of us before you make any more broad and sweeping statements. Though I imagine there would be no rancor if only one person is firing the kiln. On second thought, I guess someone could get all rancorous with ones self.

4th p: Yes it takes a lot of planning. Is that a bad thing in itself? "that means...a truck, chain saw, wood splitter, gloves chaps, axe, and much in the way of patience.” Mel, I had all of these things but the wood splitter, before I started wood firing. Especially the patience. The splitter cost $1500, and now I use it to process my house wood, so it’s a wash.

5th p: You ask "we have fights.  do this, do that, too fast, too slow, should we stop, or keep going.  who the hell is
in charge??????” Good question, and I might add, "Why isn’t SOMEONE in charge?" At our firings, someone is in charge. Usually that is the person stoking the front, meaning myself, Joe or Casey. There really needs to be a head honcho, and that avoids petty bickering of the kind you describe. Decisions about how to fire are not made by holding committee meetings.

6th p: You admit there needs to be a leader, but we manage to do that without whips and guns. We can also fire with a crew of three, or even two if necessary, and that is a 250 cubic foot kiln. Six is too many, no wonder there is a traffic jam. Tell the other three to go take a nap, split or carry wood, or rake the grounds. Or go cook something good to eat. Yes you need a plan too. Is that so very difficult?

7th p: If some worker bee gets all pushy, refer them to “El Jefe” as they call me. It’s my alter ego, and means “The Chief.” El Jefe has the power to make them sit down, or leave altogether.

8th p: Hahaha, I do remember one very pretty young lady who came in heels. I think someone suggested she bring”sensible shoes” next time, and we left it at that. Pretty funny, really.

9th p: When people don’t help out here, their pots tend to have a low priority during loading of the kiln, and might not get in at all. Then they are not invited to the next firing.

10th p: Overindulgence in alcohol can get your stoking privileges temporarily revoked here at Great Basin Pottery. You’ve seen more drunks at wood firings than sober people? Gee Mel, you are hanging out with the wrong kind of crowds. We stay pretty sober during the firing, but at the finish, *Bring me the single malt!” A no booze policy seems kind of draconian to me, but we ARE dealing with adults at our firings, not immature little doodoo heads.

Next few paragraphs you get all cynical, so I won’t waste my time on them. Suffice to say, your experience of wood fire is not universal. There are many different ways to approach it, and many different rewards for the potters. I like it, and my kiln is not too big.

16th P: Aging wood firers make you sad? Does Jack Troy make you sad? Did your friend Nils make you sad? Think about it.

I don’t think you are terrible Mel, but you are very cynical, and poorly informed about the whole wood fire scene. For you and others here on the list, I recommend that you subscribe to the little magazine “The Log Book.” It is international in scope, and publishes articles on all kinds of wood firing, from kilns like David Hendley’s Fast Freddie, to the large anagama style of firing for 8 or 10 days. The Log Book can help expand your horizons, and your mind.

Best wishes, and Bon Feu,

Paul Herman

Great Basin Pottery
Doyle California