[Clayart] Porcelain question

Tommy Humphries tommyhumphries at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 3 10:46:02 EDT 2016

Dust is one thing that many potters never think about. The risk can be minimized with a few common sense precautions.

1- ALWAYS WEAR A MASK when producing or stirring up dust.

2- Cross ventilation... Fresh air in, dust out! Working in front of a spray booth is perfect, especially if vented to the outdoors.

3-Wet sponge cleanup of tables, and wet mopping of floors.

4-protective clothing. Always wear an apron! If carving or trimming, and you have dust or crumbs on your apron, take it off carefully and drop into a bucket of water. DON'T SHAKE IT OFF! Rinse well and hang to dry.

5-If blowing dust from pots with compressed air, do it in front of the spray booth...no spray booth? DON'T DO IT! Use a damp sponge, or rinse bisque in running water.

There could be many,many more points added to this list. These are just a few things that I have commonly witnessed in my years of clay.

One thing that I wish I had had done back when I was starting, is to have my MD take a lung capacity test on me. A follow up test done regularly can be an early indicator of dust overexposure that can lead to emphysema or silicosis.

My early indicator was to check my eyeglasses every so often, if there was dust on them, the. There was too much dust in the area.

Tommy Humphries.

Sent from my iPhone