[Clayart] dan, ball clay

MGordon clayart at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 20:53:47 EDT 2016

Clay and glaze story....... I have been using Soldate 60 for 15 years
or so and the same glaze for over 40 years, a gift from Viola Frey, who
decided I was a hopeless case when it came to learning glaze
calculation, ( R column or something like that ). Anyway... all of a
sudden Soldate 60 had a slightly different color, a light tan, from
gray.My glaze started popping off, so I called Laguna and they told me
that they had started digging at the other end of the pit & it changed
the color slightly, & if my glaze didn't fit alter it a little. NOT! So
I used the clay for a completely different approach, the clay threw
beautifully, too! I've been doing the "different look" for years now, &
am quite happy, no glaze just oxides & post firing in my Webber BBQ. I
use a different clay for my glaze work. Funny how things work out. But
I must mention, I don't support myself on clay dollars. Mike Gordon