[Clayart] fuel cost

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Tue Jul 5 22:47:53 EDT 2016

Electricity varies a LOT depending on where you live. When I was in Nevada, it
was $.24 per kilowatt-hour. It was only slightly lower in New Mexico. I heated the
studio with kerosene as the only cost-effective means - only crazy people, trapped
renters and out-of-towners who bought houses from unscrupulous cost-cutting
developers heat with electricity in those areas.  When I moved here to rural Illinois,
the rate here was $.07 - less than a third what I’d been paying before. Kiln firings
became practically free. Kerosene, on the other hand, cost $4.50 per gallon. It took
a big mental re-alignment to realize that it was actually much cheaper to heat with
electricity here - a first in my experience!

Nobody’s rates are your rates. Gotta do your own math, for natural gas, propane,
electricity, etc. And it can change with time, too. Old habits may not be best
practices when costs shift.

               -Snail