[Clayart] Request: Things to do/see/buy in Shigaraki

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Sun Jul 10 00:34:28 EDT 2016

On Jul 9, 2016, at 5:35 PM, Ken Nowicki via Clayart <clayart at lists.clayartworld.com> wrote:

> Hi clay buds,
>
> I know it's been ages since I posted here. I still read the list when time permits. Although my life is such that I still don't have a working studio and am not currently working in clay, my heart is still in it.
>
> Oldest son graduated high school and we were able to swing a trip to Japan (thanks to wife's frequent flyer miles) and we're treating him to this trip as a graduation gift.
>
> This is my first trip to Japan. Spent last week in Tokyo, and now find ourselves in Kyoto.

Don't miss the Robert Yellin gallery there, and say 'hello' from Hank Murrow!

> We have the JR Rail pass, and are planning day trips. One of which (is sort of for me) to spend a day going to Shigaraki.
>
> Today is Sunday here, and the day is mapped out already, but I have the remaining week to plan a day to go to Shigaraki.
>
> I need a favor, and realize this is last minute. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to research or plan much. I was hoping that I could maybe get some tips or suggestions from those of you that have been here before, especially Shigaraki.
>
> Of course I'd like to see the "can't miss" things, but would love to find out if there is an area or place where I can shop for some pottery tools, brushes, and items that I should take advantage of buying here that might be harder to come by in the U.S. Of course, a few small pots are always on the menu (if I can afford them), but am not sure if there's a good place to shop for those as well.

Ask Robert when you see him, Ken.

> I thought I remember reading about a place where you could have a 'chop' stamp custom made for you (while you wait)... not a big thing, but thought it might be kind of fun to have. Not sure if any of that is around the area or not, or elsewhere.
>
> Looks like there are limited train runs from Kyoto to Shigaraki (and back) on the JR rail line, and once there I'll need to take a 20 minute bus ride to get there. So need to plan this carefully.
>
> Language barrier is an obvious hurdle, as is no WiFi. One thought is finding a guide, but may be too expensive, not sure.
>
> Anyway, any and all help, suggestions is appreciated immensely. Again, sorry for the last minute request.
>
> WiFi is limited here and am operating off my iPhone as didn't bring my laptop, so typing text is rather slow for me... haha!
>
> Today's plans are to hit Nara and the Fushimi Inari shrine… and tomorrow Osaka.

The Shu gallery in Osaka is a good one, and shows John Dix's work. He trained in Tamba, which would be a good visit for you. The Kinki Hotel we found to be good value in Osaka.

I will be going in late Sept to work for two months at John Dix's pottery in Sasayama outside of Kobe.

Good travels!  Hank