[Clayart] wiggly wire

mel jacobson melpots2 at visi.com
Sun Jul 10 08:46:57 EDT 2016

there is an old theory that runs through the fine crafts.
`leave the marks of the craftsman in your work`.
it is a way to distinguish hand made from factory made.
if you take all the hand marks out of your work , you might
as well buy pottery barn pots and write your name on the bottom
with a sharpie.

there has been a rush in pottery to make the work `fine`.
it is a sort of perfection of technique that leaves out any flaw
or trace of craftsmanship.  that is due mainly to far too much
imagery on the net and magazines.  (you cannot feel or touch images)
also, many teachers of craft
that come through the academic side refuse to honor craft....therefore
the thought of craft marks does not exist.

making well made clay pots and sculpture is honored.  being a
`perfectionist`
is part of craft.  you cannot change that perspective in anyone.
personalities
are formed at a young age.  how do you make them `loose`??
but, that does not mean you erase the historical aspects of pots.

the cut off wire mark is the first thing most of us look at when we pick
up pots.
you always wonder....`how was this person trained?`  we know the minute we
look for pot marks.  if there are none...well, someone does not care.

i have said and shown many times the stainless steel cut off wires we use.
it is stainless fish line.  16lb.  it comes in a 300 foot roll.
cheap.  one roll is a lifetime of wire, even giving it away you cannot
use it all
15 bucks
i make every wire the size of the work i am making.  small ones for mugs
etc. great
long ones for platters.
why wrap that stupid wire that comes in the kemper kit around your hand when
making small things.?..stupid as can be.

the knobs on the end of the wire is made of bisque knobs.  that is to avoid
metal pieces like heavy washers going into the pug mill.
if my wire gets into the pug mill the knobs become grog.
i double the size i want, bend it together and add the knobs.  you can
twist them into any pattern you desire.  tight would be place the knob
on the wheel with a piece of wet clay.  pull tight and turn on the wheel.
ten or twelve turns by hand will give you long twists.

the pattern can replicate a pot made 200 years ago by an asian potter.

we have to remember, we are part of a long line of potters going back
thousands of years.  honor them.  keep some marks that are a part
of our history.
mel
here is the amazon site:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Fishing-Wire-Stainless-Trolling/dp/B004VZKHR6