[Clayart] wiggly wire

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 11:24:57 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Paul Gerhold via Clayart <
clayart at lists.clayartworld.com> wrote:

> One of my personal criteria for great contemporary work is if I can just
> by looking tell who the potter is that made the work.  Their  own original
> style if you want to call it that.

I rather like this definition. And from a personal point of view, it's one
of the reasons I really like Hans Coper and Lucie Rie's works.

Sadly I have been to a number of MFA shows where this is not always in
evidence (surely this should be a criterion for graduation ... work that is
truly unique) ... indeed, where the work seems to strive to be slavish
copying of Hamada or Voulkos etc. Going back to wood firing ... this seems
to be particularly prevalent in that type of work, everyone [hyperbole
alert!] seems to be striving for the same look and the same style of
"loose" throwing.