[Clayart] Forced Draft Burners

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Sun Jul 10 22:33:55 EDT 2016

There is no such thing as forced-draft burners in studio ceramics.  Draft is the flow of gases through the kiln and out the flue, and that is determined by damper, and in the case of downdraft kilns, the chimney.  Forced draft does appear occasionally in industry, but not in studio kilns.  On our updraft kilns at the Craft Center we have draft-inducer fans mounted in the overhead exhaust hood - they are kind of like a paddle-wheel in the overhead ducting, but that is just to help remove the exhaust gases that gather in the hood and has no effect on how the kiln fires.

As far as I know, the appropriate reference for power burners is "forced-air burners," because it is the primary air that is forced, not the draft.

For anyone interested, I am writing this from my car, looking out over the Tule Lake Wildlife Refuge from Lava Beds National Monument in far-northern California, where I have an excellent cell signal.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University