[Clayart] Vince - Tule Lake`

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Tue Jul 12 11:00:54 EDT 2016

Yes, one of the "relocation facilities" for the internment of Japanese
citizens and immigrants after Pearl Harbor was located near the town of Tule
Lake.  It was in the location of the current airport, and all trace of it
has been eradicated.  But there was another part of the facility.  Along
Hill Road, the main access to Lava Beds National Monument from the north,
there is a group of old buildings very well-preserved.  It is fenced off,
but there is a sign identifying it, and years ago I did some research.  It
was used for a while to house German POWs, but then served to imprison the
interred Japanese who refused to sign the loyalty oath or were otherwise
troublesome.

For anyone traveling the Eastern Sierra Between Lone Pine and Independence
(or willing to make a special trip) I highly recommend a