[Clayart] Copying,stealing and honoring

Gayle Bair gayle at claybair.com
Fri Jul 15 12:30:41 EDT 2016

Tommy,

Thank you for sharing your very well thought out feelings in your posting.
I'm of the opinion that you do not have to make any concessions or
explanations when making the pots that are so close to your heritage. That
you sign and date them is proof that you are not trying to pass them off as
"authentic ones from yesteryear".
Clearly those attacking you do not realizing that you are carrying on a
tradition and keeping it alive! That's exactly what the attackers need to
know. So I hope you take that moment with pride and educate them.
I believe that if we didn't repeat what came before us there would be no
understanding & no way or reason to carry on a tradition or take it to the
next step.
I treasure my grandmother & mother's cookbook. It's one of the few precious
tangible things I have left of them. My grandmother dictated the recipes
and mom wrote them down in a notebook. It's worn, falling apart but when I
touch it.... this 70 year old is transported to the late 1940s and there I
am a toddler sitting under the kitchen table playing with toys and
listening to their chatter and laughter. What a great memory!!!! I am only
one in my family that could come close to making those recipes!

Gayle

Gayle Bair Pottery
gayle at claybair.com
www.claybair.com