[Clayart] ventilation/filters/Particle sizes

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 20:35:32 EDT 2016

Agree with everything Tommy says. In particular I would recommend some sort
of multi-stage filtration system so it doesn't get clogged up (preferably
with the first couple of stages easily washable).

In terms of the finest particles size ... as Tommy says get the finest
filter you can. Unfortunately it is the particles under 10 microns in size
that cause silicosis. 1um seems to be the lower limit, although I couldn't
find any good references for this (just the OSHA PDF in the link below)..

More importantly NIOSH regulations stipulate 0.1 mg SiO2/m3 upper limit for
an 8 hour workshift. This number is only applicable to respirable (i.e.
under 10u) amounts of crystalline silica.

Not sure if that helps or not ...

See this OSHA PDF

http://osha.oregon.gov/OSHAPubs/3301.pdf