[Clayart] Copying

Douglas Fur 23drb50 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 11:54:10 EDT 2016

This popped up on my face book feed. It speaks to a recent topic so I'm
sending it to the list.
Phil Rogers <https://www.facebook.com/philrogerspottery?fref=nf>
Yesterday at 3:14am
<https://www.facebook.com/philrogerspottery/posts/10155004509632542> ·

I thought this was an interesting quote that I found on Robert Yellin's
website......

Kaneshige Michiaki (1934-1995)

" Tradition is sometimes confused with transmission. Copying Momoyama
pieces is transmission. Producing contemporary pieces incorporating
Momoyama period techniques is tradition. Tradition consists of retaining
transmitted forms and techniques in one's mind when producing a
contemporary piece. Tradition is always changing. A mere copy of an old
piece has not changed; it is nearly the same as its prototype of four
hundred years ago. Tradition consists of creating something new with what
one has inherited."

Nicely expressed.

The rub for us Americans is that Kaneshige was referring to Momoyama pots
as his inheritance.

As US Mongrel-Americans, what is our right and proper "inheritance"?

I identify heritage as Norwegian so can I claim "Scandinavian Modern".?

My teachers were from the Leach and Cranbrook Maija Grotell traditions so
can I claim those heritages?

My geographical region is on the Pacific Ring of Fire which includes Japan
and China, are those mine?

(Some how those seem closer to me than Appalachian pottery.

First American or African American traditions, even though American, don't
seem like mine but are pots I look at and like.

Duff

Seola Creek