[Clayart] backingup

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Sat Oct 1 13:59:34 EDT 2016

I am glad Mel brought this up, and like him, I don't trust the cloud.  Too many people have lost their data by trusting cloud storage.  I believe that my system is close to infallible while still being reasonably accessible.  For many years I have been using Western Digital compact external 1TB hard drives for backup.  You can get them from amazon for about $60.  I've never had one fail, but I believe in the positive version of Murphy's law: "The chances of a desired outcome depend on the degree to which you prepare for all other outcomes."  So, I carry one of these external hard drives in a satchel that goes everywhere with me, and I have three others - one at home, one in my desk at school, and one at a relative's house.  Each of them contains my teaching/professional digital image library, my personal/family digital image archive, my office computer backup, and my laptop backup.  So wherever I go, I have access to all of those images and data.

I am not going to mention his name, but a well-known ceramic artist who teaches at one of the leading University programs lost all of his image data.  He had a laptop failure just before flying overseas, and his backup was on a single external hard drive.  He got a new laptop but did not have time to transfer the needed images, so he took the backup hard drive with him overseas, and his luggage was lost and never recovered.  He lost his entire digital image archive - images of all the best work he had done throughout his career.  Over time he'll be able to re-photograph a lot of those pieces, but what a task!  I was already backing up all of my data on multiple external hard drives before this happened, but his experienced reinforced my commitment to continue this practice.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University