[Clayart] Thanks and Sumi's kiln works fine now

William Schran wschran at cox.net
Sat Oct 1 22:50:55 EDT 2016

Sumi,
May I ask a favor?
Will you please try firing the kiln with no preheating?
Use the same settings you used with this last firing except just start it
cold and go for it.

The kiln I fired at school, turned on 1 wci to start, damper a #3 (I drew
pencil lines every 1/4²).
After two hours kiln was at 1000F, NEVER had ANY problems with student
work exploding or anything else.
Then increased gas pressure to 2 wci, at 1600F pushed in damper to #2 3/4
mark, started reduction.
Another hour increased gas to 2 3/4 wci at that was it.
At 2000F, pulled damper back to #3 mark.
Cone 6 over in 7 - 8 hours.
Perfect copper reds, celadons and shinos.

Did the same thing at Mel¹s, just kicked the kilns on and let them go.

Last time I preheated a kiln was back in 1973Š.

Bill

Bill Schran
www.creativecreekartisans.com
wschran at cox.net

On 10/1/16, 6:15 PM, "Clayart on behalf of sumi"
<clayart-bounces at lists.clayartworld.com on behalf of sumi at herwheel.com>