[Clayart] fixing a groaning wheel

David Hendley david at farmpots.com
Sun Oct 2 00:07:33 EDT 2016

It is almost a certainty that this indicates a failing bearing. But you
need to find out which bearing, as it could either be one of the motor
bearings or one of the wheel head shaft bearings.
I assume this wheel has a drive belt? Remove the belt, and run the
motor to listen for the sound. Then turn the wheelhead by hand
and listen for any noise. Push the wheelhead from side to side, up
and down and feel for the slightest bit of movement.

Replacing the wheelhead bearings is pretty straightforward (always
replace both bearings).
Years and years ago on Clayart I posted step-by-step instructions
for replacing motor bearings, after I did it on my wheel. You might
want to search for it, if it turns out you need motor bearings.
It is listed under a strange title, either "The Crickets Are Dead" or
"The Day The Crickets Died", or something like that.

David Hendley
david at farmpots.com
http://www.farmpots.com