[Clayart] Thanks and Sumi's kiln works fine now

sumi sumi at herwheel.com
Sun Oct 2 21:36:38 EDT 2016

Bill

I'm not really worried about pots exploding and I understand the fuel
savings of not preheating. I do it because the glazes used to come out
pinholed or bubbled if I didn't and I'm sure that is because of the
lumpy bumpy walls in the fiber kiln. Or something about it. Also because
it seemed to take a long time to get a draft going - again, probably
because the chimney was restricted by collapsing fiber. I learned to
preheat with the door cracked to avoid the gas building up in the bottom
of the kiln. But I'll try 1/2" first and see how long it takes to fire.
One step at a time.

Sumi