[Clayart] Thanks and Sumi's kiln works fine now

Sharon Wetherby wetherby.ss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 00:11:11 EDT 2016

Several years ago my friend Colleen Black Dunigan and I were learning to
fire a small downdraft kiln at our coop studio.  We used Nils Lou's kiln
firing book as our textbook but still had a few problems we couldn't
resolve.  We wrote to Nils asking his advice, which he kindly supplied by
return email.  He told us to turn on the kiln full blast rather than
starting on low.  It worked for us.  Never blew up anything and fired in 8
hours rather than 14 hours.  Shut down at cone 10+ and relighted at 1900
degrees for about an hour (I can't remember how long for sure).  Everyone
was happy when their pieces came out of the kiln.

Sharon Wetherby