[Clayart] fast firing protocol

jonathan byler jebyler2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:25:00 EDT 2016

I have found that I get my most even firings by pre-heating/candling overnight at about 200-500F with just the pilots and the damper almost all the way in to encourage the gases to stay in and do their job.  I run the blowers at a relatively low speed on the main burners (but no gas to them) when pre-heating also to help the heat move around in the kiln.  This, combined with the mostly closed damper makes things very even at the start of the firing.  If I have a large temperature differential, it tends to stay that way throughout the firing.

I used to do the full blast turn-on procedure, but the kiln climbs between 800 and 1000F an hour for the first hour or so even on a lower setting, so I don’t dump in the heat so fast at the beginning anymore.  The kiln also fires more evenly when I’ve started a bit slower.  Firings are done in 8-10 hours to ^10, depending on who stacked the kiln, and how much work is in there.  I am at 1750F or so when I start reduction with 3-4 hours, and button everything up 5-6 hours later.  We got it all done once in 7-1/2 hours, but that is a rarity.

As with Mel, I tend to peak on the gas pressure relatively early in the firing, and am mostly turning it down from there.

Every kiln is a little different, and they all need to be fired the way that works best for that kiln.  YMMV.  Have fun.  Learn something.  Have fun learning something, and make more pots!

-jb