[Clayart] fast firing protocol

William Schran wschran at cox.net
Tue Oct 4 08:35:46 EDT 2016

At Hay Creek We fired 3 kilns, 2 were soft brick and 1, a hard brick soda
kiln.
We used Nils Lou designed burners fired with propane.
I don¹t know what pressure the gas was as there were no gauges, just went
by sound of the combustion at the burners.
If I¹d have to guess I¹d estimate between 3 and 5 lbs gas pressure.
We just opened the pet cock on the burner a little, lit them, then
increased gas pressure a turn or two

I seem to recall one chilly morning Mel taking one of the lit burners and
pointing it into the damper slot to warm the flue.

We mainly watched the pyrometer for heat rise and fiddled with the damper
a bit.

Bill

Bill Schran
www.creativecreekartisans.com
wschran at cox.net

On 10/3/16, 9:07 PM, "Clayart on behalf of sumi"
<clayart-bounces at lists.clayartworld.com on behalf of sumi at herwheel.com>