[Clayart] orifices

mel jacobson melpots2 at visi.com
Wed Oct 5 07:29:11 EDT 2016

so much depends on what sort of gas pressure you have.
commercial pressure coming into a school, university or
business can be has high as 10 inches of water column.
(google inches of water column and understand how gas is
measured. as i said the other day, we talk pounds,
ounces,water column....and most have no clue as to what they
have. that is why talking on the net or the phone can be
hard...we just don't know...often we can hear with our
ears...it is not right.)

a home may have less than two inches of water column.

if your pressure is low, and not a great flow of gas, you
may need to increase the size of your orifice to match it.

we don't know what sumi has to her kiln. it may be low and
the natural gas orifices may help make up the difference.
a quality heating expert can measure all the pressures.
they have tools to do that.

at my studio i run an underground 1.5 inch black pipe system
to my basement where it is T'd into my home gas system. it
is 50 feet...so, the pressure is getting pretty low at my
kiln. i have what i have...and it works just fine.  and, as
i tell people in my book, you too may have `just enough
gas`.  it costs me next to nothing to fire my kiln. when
propane hit 6 bucks a gallon a few years back...potters quit
firing.  (in many cases they learned to understand what they
were doing and made adjustments to save fuel. that was a
good thing. both nils and mel smiled as people changed what
they were doing, and came on board to new and better ways of
firing kilns.)  crow meat was available.
mel