[Clayart] mel's book, kilns/story

mel jacobson melpots2 at visi.com
Wed Oct 5 11:48:50 EDT 2016

sumi gave me a great review on `our` book.  thank you.

a bit of history is in order about the kiln book. it is a
100 percent clayart project. nils was the instigator, and i
finished the project.

we both had a very clear vision as to a small backyard kiln
that was easy to build, was not very expensive and it gave
the opportunity to both women and men to have their own gas
kiln.

the mini minnesota flat top kiln was the answer. it can be
made any size you wish.  it is made of standard bricks and
almost no metal work, or complex welding. that was the birth
of the flat top, and the reason nils and mel and kurt
refined the size and shape. it was SIMPLE AND EASY AND
INEXPENSIVE. that was our motivation.  and, to be non
politically correct...i wanted women, without building
experience to have equal rights.  and if any objects to
that...well, go to hell.

i had available to me a vast army of well informed potters
and clay artists. and, people trusted me to do the right
thing...so, i decided to write a book, with the help of
clayart friends, a book that represented the modern 21st
century kiln.  all the facts.  (bill schran named the book)

we had about 40 fine experts stepping forward and wanted to
help.  and, like very few books in history, the helpers got
a by line.  we gave credit to the many authors. i was the
assembler,  with the theories of mel, nils and kurt as the
basis for the book.

of course donovan palmquist did the chapter on arches...of
course. vince wrote a chapter on his kilns, david hendley
wrote an amazing chapter on his wood fired kiln, included
was a 45 minute video. amazing stuff. arnold howard did the
last 30 pages on electric kiln firing and maintenance. who
else should do it.????? 15 others chronicled the building of
their own kilns.  at home, by themselves.
they got bi lines too.

we made over two hours of videos of the kilns included. as
often can happen, potters tend to be visual learners, so we
gave them visuals.  that cd is really good. real people,
showing real kilns that work. vital to the integrity of the
book.

so, it is never my book, it is a `OUR` BOOK. CLAYART
INSPIRED`. of course ron and john encouraged me and helded
me.  as should be the case.  quality people with the world
of clay folks as the experts.

so, we are very proud of the book.  we have sold a lot of
them. and not one complaint.  (we had one, but it turned out
to be `pilot error`...oppps.)

i have done other small books as free pdf's. and of course
my original book `potter, a life a lifetime` by me is always
available on amazon.

i try not be pimp my books etc.  they seem to find homes
without that...but, a bit of history was important...and i
love thanking those that made it possible. dedicated folks
who want the teaching of clay and firing to be real and current.
thank you all.
mel