[Clayart] Final glaze question"promise"

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 8 18:57:03 EDT 2016

Gee Willikers Ken, think of all the excitement and fun at the wheel and kiln openings you could have if you weren't so obsessive about catch plates, stilts...... you ask our advice and then what are you doing with it???

Yes there is a place for catch plates in glaze testing, and for Crafties and Dilettantes; (stilts)

But it is something to take real pride in to not have the glaze run off the pots......So;

I'm posting a "cut and paste" from mel's post:
Mel said: "learning what glazes run is critical in glazing.
and then do you put runny glazes in hot spots in your
kiln...i hope not.
for example.  that red i use can be pesky on vertical pots.
so...i glaze up from the bottom about three inches with iron
red.  then dip to the iron red with red glaze.  it gives me
a buffer and looks nice too."

I also use very stable glazes at the bottom if I wish to use more runny or overlapping of glazes above.  Or if a single glaze will come out great by itself, I will apply one layer at bottom of pot and then add more layers ascending toward the top.

Its all about knowing your glazes, as a musician knows the instrument.  In both cases practice is necessary before virtuosity.   Both in making good pots and in glazing them.

David