[Clayart] stilts in hi fire

Fredrick Paget fredrick at well.com
Sun Oct 9 00:45:18 EDT 2016

A while ago I got a big limestone tile at a tile shop. It was a big one and about i/2 inch thick.
I have been using it to make lime stone stilts for 3 or 4 years now  I cut off some strips of it with
a tile cutter and using a pair of tile nippers I have been able to cut it into roughly pyramid shapes around ¼ inch wide or a little larger with a pointed top. It can replace cone shaped sea shells that are hard to get now days here as they are a protected species here. .
  These make fine strong, hard stilts if used on a aluminum hydroxide covered advancer or clay cookie. If the pot drips glaze on the advancer it does not stick.
.
The limestone pyramids fire to hard quicklime and are easy to remove from the pot. If any sticks it will air slake in a few days and can be washed off. If you are in a hurry put the pot in shallow water and it will slake right away.

Be careful of the quicklime as it is caustic and heats up a lot while slaking if just damp. When it is slaked it is plain lime and not very dangerous. . Can be thrown out but not on a lawn as it is not the same as the “lime”that is put on lawns in the East - that is ground limestone.

Fred
Twin Dragon Pottery.
Mill Valley in fabulous Marin County, CA.
(just over north of the Golden Gate.)