[Clayart] Potter

Tommy Humphries tommyhumphries at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 12 22:10:03 EDT 2016

The term throw began being used in the US as the studio potter movement began. Throw was the traditional term used in Europe.

Throw/thrae/thrawn...to twist, or spin, as in a thrawn, or twisted rope.

In early America, the potters, and their helpers...more often than not, uneducated, translated this as turning, and this term stuck. Most old timers ( Jim, and I, included) still use turning as the preferred verb.

Tommy Humphries.

Sent from my iPad