[Clayart] Turning

Douglas Fur 23drb50 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:28:30 EDT 2016

Tommy

Something about your entomology of "turning" bugs me.
Tournant is French for turning, tourneur is a turner.
There is a French salt glaze tradition on their side of the Rhine. Maybe
there is a "French Connection" through the introduction if the salt glaze
tradition to England and on to America.

If you look at the Frankish kingdom around the 8th century, when stoneware
was just starting, it is centered on the Rhine. Its Eastern border was the
Elbe. The Franks, the namesake of France, were a western Germanic culture.
The Rhine was the center of the Rhenish stoneware tradition. By the time it
was introduced into England the Western half of the valley was French. So
the pots we've learned to call "German salt glazed stoneware" could have as
easily been French as German.
Following the Norman conquest the English court was culturally French so
when this technology was introduced it could easily have been described
with French terminology.

Duff
Seola Creek

http://www.omero.nl/boeken/t/o/p/topferofen-pottery-kilns-fours-de-potiers-die-erforschung-fruhmittelalterlicher-bis-neuzeitlicher-topferofen-620-jh-in-belgien-den-niederlanden-deutschland-osterreich-und-der-schweiz/

https://translate.google.com/m/translate#auto/fr/turner
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Frankish_Empire_481_to_814-en.svg/2000px-Frankish_Empire_481_to_814-en.svg.png