[Clayart] Question about iron reds

Dannon Rhudy dannon at ccrtc.com
Thu Oct 13 22:55:44 EDT 2016

I prefer low-iron bodies for iron reds, but don't mind
actual iron specks/bits in the clay. Don't like my iron
reds to turn dark, so I fire them in oxidation. There are
other glazes that do well in oxidation, too, and I just
fire like with like.  Slow cooling gives iron reds a bit
of something extra, in my experience. But I find that true
of most glazes however they've been fired. You'll get lots
of ideas/experiences no doubt. Thickness of the glaze does
matter, I think. Thin iron reds never seem as red, to me.

regards

Dannon Rhudy

.......Recently, I have been having trouble with iron reds coming out too dark, almost black--with very little hint of red. I know the usual suspects:
thickness of the glaze or a new batch of RIO........