[Clayart] Question about iron reds

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Fri Oct 14 07:58:19 EDT 2016

On Oct 14, 2016, at 1:33 PM, Bob Johnson <impaladrive at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Hank, for the ideas. Now, I'm wondering about the thickness of
> the glaze over an off-white body: Better thicker or thinner?

If the iron is in the glaze, I don't think it makes very much difference, more a matter of getting the surface the way you like it with the thickness. With Shino reds, thickness often makes or breaks the color. I almost never use talc in my iron reds. Phosphorus enables iron reds, but Calcium kills it, and there are very few non-soluble sources of Phosphorus.

Cheers from Sasayama, Japan,
Hank