[Clayart] bowls that match

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Sat Oct 15 16:57:30 EDT 2016

Hi Jeff -
You could try what I did in production.  I adapted an old chemistry ring stand and made a throwing gauge with an adjustable horizontal arm to establish the height and diameter of the rim.  I made a set of wood gauges (one for each size of bowl) with a peg that ran against the outer edge of the wheelhead, while the inner end of the gauge would determine the diameter of the foot (just a straight piece of hardwood with a peg through one end, and the other trimmed at a slight angle to cut the foot).  Finally I used a wood rib to establish the curvature.

When the rim is always the same height and diameter, and the foot is always the same diameter, and then you use the same rib to always determine the curvature, they end up stacking perfectly.

I weighed my lumps, of course, and I'd initially throw a flared form with straight walls angled outwards (no curve), bring the rim to the height and diameter indicated by the throwing gauge.  Then I'd use the wood gauge to trim in the foot, and then the rib to get the curvature.  It was quick and effective.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University