[Clayart] (no subject )Making your own Element pins/staples

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:55:23 EDT 2016

Jim,

yes, certainly a better way to make pins if one has new element wire handy in the shop.  I just always have kept a stash of salvaged elements around that still have life in them but are on the backside of their efficiency for producing firing heat. And I scrounge and recycle everything that makes dollars and cents (sense) to me.

One of the serious attractions of the L&L is their deep channel element holding system that makes pins/staples unnecessary.

David................."FYI: I have fashioned my own pins from pieces of salvaged elements by

clamping one end into a stationary bench vise and using a propane torch to
incrementally heat and so soften sections of the element while exerting
enough tension to straighten the element coils, as they soften, into a more
or less straight "wire" and snipping off a piece adequate to form a staple
or pin. A bit of initial time expenditure to insure a lifetime of element
pins with no surprise failure." - David

"FYI: I have fashioned my own pins from pieces of salvaged elements by
clamping one end into a stationary bench vise and using a propane torch to
incrementally heat and so soften sections of the element while exerting
enough tension to straighten the element coils, as they soften, into a more
or less straight "wire" and snipping off a piece adequate to form a staple
or pin. A bit of initial time expenditure to insure a lifetime of element
pins with no surprise failure." - David

David, why not just use new element wire - can bend them any way one wants
without all this heating stuff?

*                       JIM BROWN*

*                 BROWN POTTERS*

*  "Making handmade pottery . . . *

*                                                . . . since the 1700's"  *
                   *   386 479-4515*
*            www.brownpotters.com<http://www.brownpotters.com> <http://www.brownpotters.com>*
[http://brownpotters.com/index_html_files/2.jpg]<http://www.brownpotters.com/>

BROWN POTTERS - Brown's Pottery and Clay Company<http://www.brownpotters.com/>
www.brownpotters.com
BROWN POTTERS web site. This site is dedicated to, and in honor of, all those members of the Brown family that have been involved in the history of southern folk ...