[Clayart] I give up

Deborah Thuman debthuman at zianet.com
Sun Oct 16 19:00:47 EDT 2016

Maybe giving up is what I should have done in the first place.

After much swearing, gnashing of teeth, and snarling, I finally figured out how to fire the kiln more or less even. But…. I can’t see the #)%*)@%@ cones no matter what I do. Tried the mag light. Didn’t work, but I have a good flashlight in my car. Tried the hairdryer. Didn’t work. Tried coating a slab of clay with red iron oxide and put that behind the cones. Didn’t work.

So.. this time, I gave up. I have a probe in the bottom peep and the top peep so I can tell how fast I’m firing. Yesterday, I gave up. I aimed for the middle of the temp range for ^04. The bottom only got to ^06, the rest of the kiln got to ^04. So… I’ll keep putting cones in the kiln so  I can see what I did, but I’m giving up on trying to see the cones while I’m firing.

No, I don’t know what the problem is. I never had a problem seeing the cones in the gas kiln at the university.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at zianet.com <mailto:debthuman at zianet.com>
https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com <https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com/>

You can’t have a light without a dark to stick it in.
Arlo Guthrie