[Clayart] a moderated list

Dorothy Parshall dorothyp at whidbey.com
Thu Oct 20 09:17:19 EDT 2016

Moderate without "censoring" would require each poster to be moderate.  Apparently this does not always happen. I have been mulling over the reason for the breakout of "outrage". I have been annoyed, sometimes to the point of "outraged" by the rude behaviour of some face-to-face encounters over the last couple years. Today, finally fed up enough to resign from an org of which I have been a part since 1981, I am ready to say that the rudeness of the "younger" volunteers has driven me to this. So, I was the butt of a "joking" remark, in a meeting on Monday; I was not permitted to finish what I had to say; I was interrupted by being told I was a "grump" which, of course, made everyone laugh.   I tried again ay the end of the meeting,  expressed annoyance at being made a joke, so to speak. I was not heard/listened to. I have gone beyond outrage.  Others in their 70s have related their stories of rude behaviour within this same group of 50-60 year olds.

The short of it: is it a new generation that has not learned common courtesy that is creating outrage?  I avoid being annoyed by comments on clayart. on FB, elsewhere, by considering the source. Time to avoid it face-to-face.  Or just let it go. On clayart, I consider the source and either enjoy or "Oh, well. that's ...". It is a shame that Mel needs to spend his time "moderating". It takes away from other things he could be doing.

Dorothy, Ontario