[Clayart] Best Soak Procedure for Cone 10 gas redux.

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Thu Oct 20 23:40:16 EDT 2016

On Oct 21, 2016, at 8:08 AM, Dan Saultman <design at SAULTMAN.COM> wrote:

> Would someone please offer advice on the best soak procedure for a cone 10 redux gas firing.
> What temperature to hold at - how long a hold?

Dear Dan;

it depends upon the glazes you use and what is in them. I use Japanese-style glaze a lot, so I did a test to see what the critical period night be, drawing rings every half hour on the way down. interestingly, I saw no color on the rings until 1900F, more color at 1850, and the most color at 1800F. So I now put the kiln( http://www.murrow.biz/hank/kiln-and-tools.htm ) into a state of quite firm oxidation(.06 on the OxyProbe) at ⅓ pressure with no flame from the flue or the peep for anywhere from 2 to 10 hours. The kiln holds at that temperature and I check it occasionally to make sure no reduction is happening.

The result is bloody shinos, and deeper color from glazes that have a little too much flux and/or alumina to be shiny. I tend to avoid shiny glazes as they reflect light and obscure the form.

YMMV, of course; but Cheers, Hank in Eugene, OR