[Clayart] Best Soak Procedure for Cone 10 gas redux.

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Fri Oct 21 18:00:04 EDT 2016

Hi Dan -
I like what Hank wrote about on oxidation soak on the down-ramp to get more fire color in shinos, and I look forward to trying that next time we have a lot of shinos in the kiln.  We don't really do a reduction soak.  I do not find any benefit in it.  We do an hour of body reduction at cone 012 for shinos and copper reds, or at 08 if we only want speckles in stoneware.  I suppose you could call that a soak.  After body reduction we do a partial reduction (climbing reduction) to maturity, and then when cone-10 is down we do a 15-minute oxidation soak to clean up the colors and encourage reoxidation where glazes are thin.  At the end of the firing when the burners are shut off we close the damper for two hours to slow things down a bit through the ideal temperature for desirable crystal growth, and then open it up for reasonable cooling.  This is all in a big downdraft IFB kiln that cools really slowly if the damper is left closed, so we open it after 2-4 hours.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University