[Clayart] Pugged Clay - Not Great

Dan Saultman design at saultman.com
Fri Oct 21 21:15:36 EDT 2016

Hi All,
I have been pugging my scraps for a couple years (Petter Pugger) and
have noticed that the reclaimed clay is less plastic.
When I open a center lump of clay it splits and has to be repaired
(with a sponge before proceeding.) Has anyone noticed that pugged clay
quality is diminished?
Is there a magic bullet to fix this? (sorry, always looking for the
magic fix)  Like adding a lb. of ball clay or something?

I suspect that the good stuff is skimmed away in the throwing bucket.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Saultman