[Clayart] Carpal Tunnel, Internet Diagnoses, Alternative Medicine

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 11:32:34 EDT 2016

Thank you for this excellent post Deb. As someone who once did medical
research I find a lot of the advice quite disheartening. Western medicine
has a solved a LOT of things and doctors do know their business. Do some
over prescribe? Probably. Do some miss things ... absolutely (you try
diagnosing something that presents without standard symptoms, or with the
symptoms of another disease.) But for the most people doctors, just like
most other people are trying to do their best under terrible circumstances.

One thing I would say. Complementary medicine can be great, alternative
medicine can and does put you in hospital. What's the difference?
Complementary medicine, complements western medicine and offers
possibilities for symptom relief that western medicine doesn't. Alternative
medicine is exactly the same treatments used without ever going to a doctor
and often results in explosion of an untreated disease. Alternative and
complementary medicines never offers a cure (there's a single instance I
know where it did and it was quickly followed up by western medicine), only
alleviation of symptoms. Which in the case of inflammation or muscle spams
is often all that is required.