[Clayart] Clayart Digest, Vol 11, Issue 73

Jeff Lawrence jefflawr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:16:28 EDT 2016

Vince wrote:

> I am curious as to why you would want to lighten them up more.  "Too
> light" is a real problem in functional ceramics.  Unless this is a
> conceptual project to produce non-functional "bowls," the weight in your
> bowls serves an important purpose.

Hi Vince,
I'm a bit baffled by this problem. Do you mean simply being robust enough
to withstand the hazards of use? I'm reminded of the pottery koan, "Pots
should be as heavy as they look," which brought equally small enlightenment
(so to speak!)
I guess I'm with Randy in liking light ware, despite the scourge of
collapsed platters since I've started working with porcelain.
Jeff Lawrence
jefflawr at gmail.com