[Clayart] Throughing thinner?

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:47:53 EDT 2016

Hi Susi,

Throwing "light" has its place, but not as has been already said; in "functional ware" ("vessels of domestic utility")

It is a great exercise in learning to utilize all the clay in a lump that is possible. And one will develop a manual and conscious sensitivity in handling the clay that produces better form and expressive communication in the pieces.

(Imagine your spirit flying and your untrained hands dragging you back to earth) We've all started this way I'm quite sure.

When we speak of "door stops" pots it is the too thick bottom areas of the pot that didn't get attention in forming and trimming.

Problems with cracking of the bottoms during drying are in part from the too thick bottom drying last after the rim and upper walls have dried and so locked the bottom from the drying shrinkage it needs to do in relation to the pot as a whole.

Bottoms of proper thickness in relation to the pot, form and intended function are the foundation to learn and work from.

David Woof.........