[Clayart] Lightness

Douglas Fur 23drb50 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:19:38 EDT 2016

At the U of Oregon David Stanard called his work "heft art". Pots which
when you picked them had the "right" weight.
That there was a "fitness" in a pot having a weight consistent with its
being as a pot. A bone china cup, an unvitrified earthenware cup, a
stoneware cup and a hotel china cup should all have a weight which is
consistent with their nature.
Somewhat along the line that the weight you anticipated when you looked at
the pot should be the the same as the weight you experienced when you
picked it up.

A jealousy I have is how glass, because it transmits light, can be as heavy
as a brick and still appear light but it's not judged by its weight.

On the other hand most of our customers have heard that lightness=good
craftsmanship and don't listen to their body's sense of wether or not a
pot's weight is appropriate
I did have someone laugh at some pots I'd made, which I took offense at but
they were too light and the customer was right in his perception.

Duff
Seola Creek