[Clayart] Glazing the bottom of the pot

Mahaffey, Rick rmahaffey at tacomacc.edu
Wed Jan 4 11:50:40 EST 2017

Hello,

Just a thought, if you want to glaze the foot then maybe you could learn to make glass.  ;)

I like the clay being seen and able to be felt.  When I lived in Japan sometimes potters and collectors would get together to enjoy conversation and company.
During these gatherings pots would be brought out placed upside down and people would try to guess where the clay came from.  It was part of enjoying the Tsuchi Aji or clay flavor.

The suggestions for smoothing the bottoms of the pots posted earlier are all good suggestions.   Also I tend to burnish the foot with a stainless steel rib on my production ware.  I don't do that on tea bowls as the character of the clay is part of Chanoyu and something that can add to the experience and something one should be aware of.

YFMV  (your foot may vary)

Rick Mahaffey
Ceramics dept.
Tacoma, Community College
6501 So. 19th St.
Tacoma, WA 98466

office phone: 253-566-5260                 ceramics studio phone:  253-566-5346