[Clayart] wood kilns

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Wed Jan 4 18:07:01 EST 2017

Hi Mel -
Something I have always taught my students is that the dimensions of wood kilns do not change in proportion the way they do with a gas kiln.  If you build a very small wood kiln, you still need a large firebox in order to develop and maintain a good coalbed, and you still need a tall chimney to develop adequate draft.  Very small wood kilns are a project of questionable worth, considering the cost and labor for the return.  At the Craft Center we have a 250 cubic foot anagama-groundhog hybrid we call the hoggama, and we have a 40-cubic-foot crossdraft that Bryce Brisco built about five years ago.  The crossdraft gets fired twenty times to every time the hoggama gets fired, because the latter is just such a huge effort.  For most people, 40 cubic feet would still be a pretty big kiln, and I'd love to have a 20 cubic foot crossdraft wood kiln.  You say you get good results from a 14 cubic foot flat-top, and I think that is about the lower limit of practical size for a wood kiln.

Woodfiring involves a steep learning curve, and for novices, a small wood kiln allows a lot of experimentation from one firing to the next.  That's the best way to learn the process.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University