[Clayart] Glazing the bottom of the pot

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Wed Jan 4 18:41:59 EST 2017

I agree with Rick Mahaffey but I'll take it a step farther and say that a glazed foot gives me the creeps.  I admit to being very opinionated about this.  It feels all wrong when you set down a vessel with a glazed foot, like the vessel is extra fragile.  The clay surface is beautiful, on the foot of a vessel, or on the seat of a lid. Why conceal the material itself?  We use glaze where we need to, and the lid seat and the vessel foot do not need to be glazed.  If you want them smoother, get some diamond sanding pads or get a bench grinder with an abrasive flap wheel.  Leave the foot and the lid seats unglazed and celebrate the clay.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University