[Clayart] Glazing the bottom of the pot

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Wed Jan 4 18:52:13 EST 2017

Hi Ken -
We have a double-ended buffing motor with a 80-grit on one end and a 120-grit on the other.  If I was using just one, I'd get a 80-grit or a 100-grit.  With a white claybody, the abrasive flap wheel can leave a bit of discoloration, and if that is a worry, then you are probably better off with the diamond polishing pads.  I use mostly buff stoneware bodies and have no problem with that slight discoloration, but with a white claybody some people find it objectionable.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University