[Clayart] Bourry Box

Eva Gallagher galla at magma.ca
Wed Jan 4 19:38:24 EST 2017

Hi - I built a bourry box train kiln - is yours a train kiln? I used plans
for the Rivers Longthroat Kiln from Steve Harrison's book Laid back Wood
Firing - I ended up making the train part lower by two bricks so it is only
17 inches high by 17 inches wide inside. I also shortended it from about 10
feet to 7 and half feet or so. I think I would have been better to do an
even shorter chamber as it would eliminate a lot of side stoking which I
find very tiring for me as I fire alone.
If I do not side stoke then the second half of the kiln - about 3 feet will
be underfired.
In his book he gives average proportions (all inside measurement)expressed
by volume for wood fired kilns.
The firing chamber (including throat arch, any bag wall if present) is 100%
The Firebox (above the hobbs) - 13%,
the ember pit (below the hobbs).-9%
I don't really think that my kiln follows these proportions. If I was doing
it again I would make the chamber wider and less long as I find that my long
narrow chamber cools way too quickly and that can affect the quality of the
glazes. .
Eva Gallagher
Deep River, Ontario
http://newfoundoutpotter.blogspot.com/